3 February 2012

A DIY Hurricane Vase Get's Dressed Up With Rub n Buff


I got a little package in the mail a few weeks ago - my first ever order of Rub 'n Buff! Um, can anyone say Wonder Product?! For those of you well acquainted with it, excuse my excitement, but they don't sell this stuff in Canada! For any Rub 'n Buff rookies like me, it's a super cool gel-like pigment you can rub on for a metallic finish, available in tons of colours. I ordered a tube of 'Antique Gold' to update the hardware on a project I'm working on (stay tuned for more on that!), but when I read the package it said 'Any surface, ANY material'. I had this sudden urge to start rubbing and buffing everything in sight :)

Lucky for my husband I spotted a wooden candlestick before I saw him :) I'd picked up a pair of them awhile ago at Value Village (maybe a buck each?) and I was planning to spray paint them in the spring, but now I didn't have to wait :). I also found a great vase too, just slightly flared and perfect to DIY myself a hurricane vase. If you give this a try, here's what I used:



After rubbing and buffing the candlestick, I applied some silicone sealant to the top (any strong glue will work) and centered the vase over it. Then I just left it to dry with some heavy stuff on top (any HP fans out there? Fun to read AND craft-tasticly useful!)


Other than drying time, I think this took a total of 5 minutes! And it cost like 3 bucks! Not to shabby for one glammed-up hurricane vase!


Love the height it brings to this little corner vignette. And I can't get over the finish! Rub n Buff is seriously my new best friend :) We have a lot of glass in our place too so I love the hint of gold.   


Its versatile enough that I can change up the fillers from time to time too. How cute would this look in pink in a little girls room?! Not that I have any babies yet..just sayin :) Or even aquamarine - the it colour I'm seeing everywhere this season. You could also keep it a clear sparkling glass (like these DIY Cake Stands) and fill it up with something fun for that pop of colour. Gosh the DIY possibilities are endless! Are you as in love with hurricane vases as I am?! 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Glue and spray paint make wonders!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for using AMACO's Rub 'n Buff. Wishing you success transforming all your future finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you stopping by my little blog :)

      Delete
  3. Neat idea! This is so simple, yet elegant. :)
    Thank you for dropping by and leaving me a message! It's awesome to meet another Torontonian in the Blogosphere! ;)
    -your newest follower, Jane @ urbanejane.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative idea!

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! AMAZING! This turned out FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing at my party!!! Happy Valentine's Day!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect timing for me to be playing catch-up! I have some hardware from to dressers I am redoing and I need to do something with it. I didn't want to paint it and this stuff will be perfect!! I am going to see if it is available in any stores in town, if not I will be ordering it! Thanks for sharing!! XO

    ReplyDelete