14 March 2012

Easy & Inexpensive DIY Art: A Framed Scarf

Hey everyone :) Happy March Break! I had all these grand plans to go on a road trip with my friend and use the time off work to get moving on several projects, but half the break has come and gone and I’ve barely done anything :) Typical!   

I did come across a great idea on Pinterest last week though to DIY your own custom wall art!


I wanted a little something something to dress up a particularly bare corner, but I wasn’t loving anything in stores (at least not anything on budget :). I was looking for something in bright hues, similar to this gorgeous piece (by Nancy Ramirez at Cozamia)


Love.at.first.sight! I'd LOVE to order one of her prints someday, the prices aren’t too bad either, but for now – considering all the upcoming decor projects I have in mind – I needed a thriftier idea :)   

I searched the web for some free prints I could frame, and I found a few options, then somewhere along the way I came across this loveliness


I had a pretty phone like that once...then I got rid of it because it was impossible to hold between my ear and my shoulder...and now I wish I hadn't...*sigh* Well the picture was captioned ‘framed scarf’, originally via Design*Sponge. I’m not sure if it’s actually a scarf in the frame, but whatever, I was inspired!

So I went digging through my closet and found the perfect scarf in my own stash. You can find such pretty scarves almost anywhere, but if you’re anything like me you already have a zillion in your own closet :) Either way this can be a really inexpensive project.

The scarf I chose was one my Mom bought me years ago from India – I never wear it but I always loved the pattern too much to get rid of it. I ironed it, cut out the sections I wanted to use, and matted the swatches in a great set of frames I picked up at Homesense. I think it would look great without the mats too.

 

I love how easy and simple this was to do, and the colours are so bright and fun! You can't tell from the photos but the scarf has little flecks of gold in it too, which look great in the sunlight :)


If you're eying the stenciled hutch on the right, consider this a sneak peek - more on that soon! 

So have any of you used framed scarves in you decor? I'm thinking about a small gallery wall for our living area, so I'm on the lookout for more DIY wall art ideas which I'll hopefully share soon - any tips would be appreciated!


8 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I have never framed a scarf, what a fantastic idea. RE: DIY wall art I just completed a project last week using canvas boards and craft paints. It was so much fun and dare I say stress relieving! I'm also a big fan of using printables as wall art too. One of my favs right now is printing directly onto old dictionary pages. Search "print on dictionary page" in Pinterest and you'll see what I mean. I'm dying to try that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this, this is such a great idea! Thanks so much for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely scarf you had, and it looks lovely framed on your wall next to the hutch. And that hutch DOES look quite interesting! Looking forward to checking it out in detail soon. I agree, by the way, that the Nancy Ramirez pieces is gorgeous! The blue and pink are so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been tagged a Wonderful Blogger, come see what to do next http://californiahomedreaming.blogspot.com/2012/03/wonderful-blogger-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVELY! I've been looking for the right scarf to do this with. {Your hutch is gorgeous! I am building a similar project with the stenciled back.}
    www.thehuntedinterior.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! Great job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm SOOO impressed! I haven't used anything like this, but you've inspired me to at least consider it :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your ideas - beautiful blog, I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete